The Friends of the Library are excited to announce that Library Mini Golf is BACK! After a two year break it is great to get back into the swing of things. Each year more than 20 local businesses sponsor our event and over 300 community members attend, making it the most talked about golf game in town. This year we will be golfing on Friday, February 24th and Saturday, February 25th.
The Friends of the Library built their own nine-hole miniature golf course. We designed a custom course for our Library to better suit our needs and to keep more of the money raised right here at the Library. You can expect your favorite hazards, obstacles and of course a hole down the stairs to all be included. Golfers of all ages and abilities are welcome to participate! $5 per person to play 18 holes or $3 to play 9 holes.
Who Are The Friends?
They are a volunteer organization dedicated to supporting the Library’s mission and its programs and services. Membership is open to all individuals, families, and organizations, whether regular or occasional users of the library. The Friends have been in existence for over 50 years! Meetings are held the 1st Tuesday of the month at the Library (September through June). Meeting times alternate between evening (7:00 PM) and morning (9:00 AM) in order to accommodate all. Meetings are held virtually at this time, join Zoom Meeting.
Friends Mission Statement
The Friends of the Town of Ballston Community Library organizes the community to promote, fund and support the Library’s mission.
How Do I Join?
Stop by the library or download our Friends Brochure to fill out a membership form. Friends are a significant source of support for the library. If you are also able to attend our meetings and help out with our fundraising and promotional activities, your help is needed and greatly appreciated. All Friends of the Library receive information via email regarding the date and time of each monthly meeting, minutes of our meetings, and information regarding special activities and volunteer opportunities.
Contact The Friends
Interested in joining, volunteering or just want more information? Email Co-Presidents Melia Gordon & Donna Keegan at email@example.com
Meeting Agendas & Minutes
What Do They Do?
The Friends raise money to support programming and resources at the Town of Ballston Community Library. The Friends are responsible for many of your favorite programs and materials including:
- Art Reception – The Friends host two Annual Spring Art Receptions for students from the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake School District and The Charlton School.
- Cake Pans – The Friends of the Library supported the circulating cake pans program giving our patrons access to over thirty decorative cake pans that can be borrow.
- Children’s Room Furniture & Toys – The Friends of the Library purchased all new toys and puzzles for the Library in 2010. In 2015, the Friends purchased comfortable new seating for the Children’s Room for families to enjoy. During the 2018 Summer Reading Program, the Friends provided funding for four new beanbags in the Teen area and a sensory table for the Children’s Room.
- Circulation Desk – In 2015/2016 The Library received a New York State Construction Grant which allowed us to renovate the Library’s first floor to better serve our patrons. The Friends of the Library generously purchased our beautiful new circulation desk.
- Museum Pass Program – The Friends purchase passes to local museums so that our patrons can enjoy these for free or discounted rates. Learn more about our available Museum Passes and how you can borrow them.
- Library Laser Tag Teen Night – Each Summer the Friends sponsor a Teen Night as part of the Summer Reading Program. These have included a Murder Mystery Event, Life Sized Quiddich Harry Potter Night and everyone’s favorite, Laser Tag at the Library.
Fundraisers & Events
The Friends of the Library raise money and represent the Library at Community Events including the BH-BL BPA’s Christmas Tree Lighting, the Flag Day Parade and the Charlton Founder’s Day Parade. To raise money to support programs and materials at the Library the Friends hold several annual fundraisers.
- Book Sales – The Friends hold Spring and Fall Book Sales each year. The next sale will be held May 2023 during regular Library hours.
- Community Dinners – The Friends host community dinners partnering with local library supporters including Spartan Catering Events and Pizza Works.
- Library Mini Golf – The Friends biggest event of the year. A nine hole mini golf course is set up inside the Library. Patrons of all ages are invited to show off their putting skills. We set up a full course, use real clubs and balls. We even have a hole that goes down the stairs! Library Mini Golf will next be held February 24 & 25, 2023. Sign up to be a sponsor!
- Spring Fling Raffle – Each year the Friends come together to create beautiful baskets to be raffled off in support of the Friends. The 2023 Raffle will run April – May.